Modern Comedic Sound Design

Get creative feedback or just tell us your cat's name. Anything goes here!
MikeQuell
Site Admin

Modern Comedic Sound Design

Post by MikeQuell » September 12th, 2013, 9:37 am

Anytime you can edit in some fart sounds for a project it's probably a good day at work. I recently had the chance to do just that along with adding some of the classic sounds from the Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. libraries. I love that stuff and it got me thinking about modern comedic sound design. I don't watch cartoons like I used to as a kid and I couldn't think of many modern films off of the top of my head that incorporate this type of aesthetic.

What are some great pieces of work that you would recommend checking out that have the same personality as the Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. "cartoon" era sounds? I know a good portion can be reproduced with musical instruments, but maybe something recently has done something emotionally similar, but with a completely different sound/object. I'm sure I need to dig around with some modern cartoons and will find great results but what comes to your mind?

Here's a cool article with Ben Burtt about the sound design for the classic "The Three Stooges":
http://mixonline.com/post/film_TV/class ... nd_design/

GamesWoods
Intern

Re: Modern Comedic Sound Design

Post by GamesWoods » September 19th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I've been noticing a new trend of ridiculous (purposely bad) sound editing being used in some of the newer comedy shows (most notably Tim and Eric, as well as Portlandia). Lots of purposeful mouth and body noises, and just generally hilarious goofy/gross sounds that are meant to be distracting in a funny, fourth wall breaking way.

Personally I love this shit :)

Actually while looking for an example clip I found an article on this exact thing: http://www.prosoundeffects.com/blog/sou ... ortlandia/