Home Listening Setup

Get creative feedback or just tell us your cat's name. Anything goes here!

What is your home listening setup?

More than 8 channels.
No votes
25%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
25%
TV Speakers
No votes
Headphones
No votes

Total votes: 4

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Home Listening Setup

Post by MikeQuell » January 27th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Polling to see what most people are listening on for their home "theater" setup. This is specific to your couching-sitting, TV/movie watching, and gaming. I personally have a 7.1 setup but have a lot of friends and colleagues that are just rocking stereo setups.

Here's a poll from Gizmodo and I was actually surprised more people selected "yes" than "no". Maybe audiophiles were most eager to vote.
http://gizmodo.com/5286069/do-you-have- ... ound-setup

deskinscraig
Critical Listener

Re: Home Listening Setup

Post by deskinscraig » January 27th, 2014, 8:03 pm

I just started building my entertainment system, and I'm aiming to have at least a 7.1 setup. Go big or go home is my philosophy. Or should I say go big and go home :D

GrahamDonnelly
Critical Listener

Post by GrahamDonnelly » June 17th, 2014, 9:46 am

Ha I am currently going through all the older threads that I missed.

I rock a solid 5.1 system at home for all my T.V and Video gaming etc. Couldn't go back to stereo after having surround. My Amplifier supports 7.1 with an additional 2 outputs for "presence" - so buying 4 more satellites is my next step, but I currently don't have the space needed for the correct 7.1 layout on the floor etc. So have decided to wait.

So my system is a dedicated amplifier and separate wired speakers, satellites are passive and sub is active etc. I initially used the built in system setup function for correct allignment and phase etc. But realised that I could get a better sound buy setting it up manually. Which took me a lot of time, measuring space and angles etc, marking the floors where the stands are. Setting sub freq crossover etc.

Worth it though, my system sounds great now, even with middle of the row speakers. Love it. Just wish I could use it for surround mixing my work.

studio13
Critical Listener

Post by studio13 » June 19th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Blue Sky media desk 5.1 for my setup, mac /pc /ps3 but no tv connected.

DanCostello
Critical Listener

Post by DanCostello » June 25th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I only have one system that handles all of my gaming, dev, daw, tv, etc duties and I'm currently only on stereo. Upgrading to surround would be a considerable investment for me, but one I hope to make in the next couple years.

-Dan.

schapps
Intern

Post by schapps » September 4th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I have a 5.1 setup in the living room, and although speaker placement is not terrible, it's also not ideal. That gets used for watching TV, movies, and playing console games. In my office/den I have a nicer stereo setup with Neumann KH120 monitors where I play all my PC games. I'd love to have a full 5.1 setup eventually with the Neumann's, but that's not in the cards (or the budget!) yet. If I really want to critically listen to a console game, I bring it into work and listen in the studio on Adam A7's or Genelecs. Though at work we are still rocking 5.1, not 7.1 setups.

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Post by JackMenhorn » April 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm

I have a 5.1 on my TV which is off-center from where I sit and no way to get the rears actually behind me so theyre behind the TV. Not ideal.

Last bumped by MikeQuell on April 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm.