"Our Ambient World" SFX Library [Contributor Thread]

Contribute or start a crowdsource project here.
stavrosound
Intern

Re: Contributor Thread - "Our Ambient World" SFX Library

Post by stavrosound » December 19th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Daftfader wrote:Is anyone else using Soundminer and finding that the file 'AMB_Urban_Day_Alexandria_VA' makes it crash when dragging it to the database?

I am using v4.5pro, I've re-downloaded the file to double check but it is still happening.

Thanks
Al.
That must have been what crashed SMHD+ when I tried to scan everything. Thanks for the heads up!

michalfojcik
Intern

Post by michalfojcik » December 19th, 2013, 3:31 pm

I just wanted to say Thank you to all participators.
This library is full of great sounds.
Finishing download at the moment, but what I have heard already is superb.

Thanks Mike for this idea!

Best,
Michal

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » December 19th, 2013, 6:25 pm

stavrosound wrote:
Daftfader wrote:Is anyone else using Soundminer and finding that the file 'AMB_Urban_Day_Alexandria_VA' makes it crash when dragging it to the database?

I am using v4.5pro, I've re-downloaded the file to double check but it is still happening.

Thanks
Al.
That must have been what crashed SMHD+ when I tried to scan everything. Thanks for the heads up!
If you guys can confirm this let me know. I can re-upload the file. I had everything in Soundminer at one point with no crashes so hopefully it's a different file that just got corrupted while downloading.

michael_m
Intern

Post by michael_m » December 20th, 2013, 11:21 am

The odd sounding MS-recording I mentionend earlier seem to be:
AMB_Urban_Madrid_Day_Pond.wav
AMB_Urban_Madrid_Day_Skaters.wav
AMB_Urban_Madrid_Night_Plaza.wav

I talked with stavrosound and he agreed, that something is odd about these files. It seems that something went wrong during the matrixed encoding.
According to stavrosound you can solve the issue by inverting the phase of one of the two stereo channels. I haven't checked it myself so far, but since he's quite experienced I trust him.

I don't want to blame someone with this post, so please don't get me wrong. These are three nice recordings and it would be a shame, if users wouldn't use these files, because they sound weird. So hopefully everybody can correct it and use it in future projects :)

eric_n
Intern

Post by eric_n » December 20th, 2013, 11:33 am

Thanks Mike for doing this. Great idea. Great library.

"AMB_Urban_Day_Alexandria_VA" was making my Soundminer crash as well.

Thanks again!! Great stuff.

Eric

Jonathan
Critical Listener

Post by Jonathan » December 20th, 2013, 11:55 am

I just have to say... AMB_Rural_Day_Iceland_Snæfell_Sea_Lava_Beach_01 is delicious. The sound of the water receding over the pebbly rocks, mmmm
Kudos for whoever's in Iceland and got to experience/record this one :)

stavrosound
Intern

Post by stavrosound » December 20th, 2013, 12:22 pm

The Copenhagen seagulls track is sublime. Great catch!

glowingpear
Intern

Post by glowingpear » December 21st, 2013, 7:37 pm

Just downloaded the library and what I've heard so far is great. Indeed, AMB_Rural_Day_Iceland_Snæfell_Sea_Lava_Beach_01.wav is fantastic. Who recorded this one? I'm very curious which mics and recorder were used. My recording pales in comparison.

I do wish there was a file with all the additional information we submitted about our recordings.

Thank you Mike for doing this. I'm so happy to have been a part of the project and to have this library. Please keep me posted if any other libraries will be made like this!

Steve
Intern

Post by Steve » December 23rd, 2013, 4:50 am

Jonathan wrote:I just have to say... AMB_Rural_Day_Iceland_Snæfell_Sea_Lava_Beach_01 is delicious. The sound of the water receding over the pebbly rocks, mmmm
Kudos for whoever's in Iceland and got to experience/record this one :)
Glad you like it and happy I got to share it. I'm from London but went to Iceland earlier this year for a recording trip. it's a beautiful country with some amazing wildlife, if you ever get the chance to go recording there I can't recommend it enough.

I'm downloading all the files now, can't wait to hear them!

imgoinmad
Critical Listener

Post by imgoinmad » December 23rd, 2013, 9:24 am

glowingpear wrote:Just downloaded the library and what I've heard so far is great. Indeed, AMB_Rural_Day_Iceland_Snæfell_Sea_Lava_Beach_01.wav is fantastic. Who recorded this one? I'm very curious which mics and recorder were used. My recording pales in comparison.

I do wish there was a file with all the additional information we submitted about our recordings.

Thank you Mike for doing this. I'm so happy to have been a part of the project and to have this library. Please keep me posted if any other libraries will be made like this!
I would also love to have more whatever info exists for the recordings. With mine I submitted 2 photos as well as a text file describing what was recorded, mics used etc. I couldn't figure out how to add the metadata so I put all the details in my text file. (Anyone able to point to good instructions for doing such a thing?) Mike, thanks again for setting up this project, would you consider adding whatever you have, photos, text files, etc to a new share?

BTW Google Drive while at first uncooperative, finally downloaded everything after nothing more than turning off and relaunching the application. All files downloaded complete.