"Our Ambient World" SFX Library [Contributor Thread]

Contribute or start a crowdsource project here.
emooney
Critical Listener

Re: Contributor Thread - "Our Ambient World" SFX Library

Post by emooney » December 18th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I was able to download all of the files successfully, or at least I'm pretty sure I was. I have a total of 256 wav files weighing in at 37.15GB. Someone let me know if this is everything please. You can reach me at mooneyeric@yahoo.com.

I did think of a possible solution that I could possibly help with. I am using the Copy application, which is similar to Dropbox, etc. and I have 57GB of space on there. Basically, you start out with 15GB and if you refer someone to signup and they do you get an extra 5GB per person. Since I have the free space available I don't mind trying to share all of our recordings on there and then posting the link on this forum. To be able to download using the link I could provide (after the lengthy upload) does not require you to download or sign up for Copy.

I will go ahead and start trying to upload everything to my Copy folder so I can post a link here. This may take a while to get everything uploaded though so give me a day or so. Hopefully this can be a good workaround for the time being.

Eric

kayceemixer
Intern

Post by kayceemixer » December 18th, 2013, 10:47 pm

I did the same procedure as @stavrosound. Took a bit of time but worked out great in the end.
Thanks Mike for organizing this, really appreciate it.

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » December 18th, 2013, 11:07 pm

emooney wrote:Hi all,

I was able to download all of the files successfully, or at least I'm pretty sure I was. I have a total of 256 wav files weighing in at 37.15GB. Someone let me know if this is everything please. You can reach me at mooneyeric@yahoo.com.

I did think of a possible solution that I could possibly help with. I am using the Copy application, which is similar to Dropbox, etc. and I have 57GB of space on there. Basically, you start out with 15GB and if you refer someone to signup and they do you get an extra 5GB per person. Since I have the free space available I don't mind trying to share all of our recordings on there and then posting the link on this forum. To be able to download using the link I could provide (after the lengthy upload) does not require you to download or sign up for Copy.

I will go ahead and start trying to upload everything to my Copy folder so I can post a link here. This may take a while to get everything uploaded though so give me a day or so. Hopefully this can be a good workaround for the time being.

Eric
Thanks for the suggestion, Eric.

My only concern with this is that not everyone on this "contributor thread" actually submitted something for the library so you would be sharing the link with people that didn't end up participating. I think if we give it a couple days it will smooth out. If not, we can look at some other solutions. If people are comfortable with it, I can also send you the contact info of the individuals that contributed material so it's fair to everyone.

emooney
Critical Listener

Post by emooney » December 19th, 2013, 1:04 am

Mike, I'll be glad to email you the download link so that you can just forward it to the other contributors. I'll go ahead and send you the download link once everything has finished uploading to my Copy account just in case everything hasn't smoothed out after a couple of days.

Thanks for putting all of this together!

Eric

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » December 19th, 2013, 2:02 am

emooney wrote:Mike, I'll be glad to email you the download link so that you can just forward it to the other contributors. I'll go ahead and send you the download link once everything has finished uploading to my Copy account just in case everything hasn't smoothed out after a couple of days.

Thanks for putting all of this together!

Eric
Super kind of you, Eric! Thanks.

Daftfader
Intern

Post by Daftfader » December 19th, 2013, 2:15 am

I tried to continue downloading this morning and all is well, obviously I was just getting crushed in the rush. Thanks.

Another option for sharing could be (with no research at all) using the free 50Gb Mega accounts (https://mega.co.nz/#register).

imgoinmad
Critical Listener

Post by imgoinmad » December 19th, 2013, 9:41 am

imgoinmad wrote:This might shed some light on the problem...I tried adding the folder to my Google Drive but then for all 256 files I get this ==> Can't sync 256 files and it provides reason "Download Error - An unknown issue has occurred". I tried turning off and relaunching the Google Drive application but got the same thing. I tried downloading just a single file and when I did so, got this message ==>

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

I'm thinking I should just wait a day or 2 and it should resolve itself and sync all the files to my machine? Thoughts?
Looks to be correct, I turned off google drive and relaunched it this morning and the files seem to be syncing to my machine, a dozen files so far with no errors. Must have been the overload and number of people trying to get them

Daftfader
Intern

Post by Daftfader » December 19th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Is anyone else using Soundminer and finding that the file 'AMB_Urban_Day_Alexandria_VA' makes it crash when dragging it to the database?

I am using v4.5pro, I've re-downloaded the file to double check but it is still happening.

Thanks
Al.

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » December 19th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Daftfader wrote:Is anyone else using Soundminer and finding that the file 'AMB_Urban_Day_Alexandria_VA' makes it crash when dragging it to the database?

I am using v4.5pro, I've re-downloaded the file to double check but it is still happening.

Thanks
Al.
Is it only crashing if you drag it into Soundminer? What if you try any other audio editing software?

ktwAudio
Intern

Post by ktwAudio » December 19th, 2013, 1:17 pm

With the wonders of my middle-off-nowhere / we're-lucky-to-have-electricity Internet, I just managed to finish downloading everything by dividing it into 15 zip files. Took an approximate total of 15hrs.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Cannot wait for the next project!