"Our Ambient World" SFX Library [Contributor Thread]

Contribute or start a crowdsource project here.
MikeQuell
Site Admin

Re: Contributor Thread - "Our Ambient World" SFX Library

Post by MikeQuell » October 8th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Just a quick update -

For those submitting more than one file, please keep it to a maximum of three files. Since we had over 300 people sign up, I would like to keep the library somewhat manageable for when everyone goes to download it. This thing could quickly reach over 150GB with how generous everyone is being.

So if you wanted to submit more than three...don't. Pick your three favorite recordings for now and save the others for "Our Ambient World: Volume 2". But remember, it's only necessary to submit a minimum of one file.

Also, please make sure you are following the guidelines. I've been receiving files that have been significantly going over the 5 minute file length limit.

Thanks, everyone!

-Mike

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » October 9th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Another note: Please make sure your email has your correct contact name. If not, please leave a note (in the email or uploaded folder) when sharing your uploaded file so I can keep track of who has shared what. Some of the names from this site don't match I've received so far.

Thanks,

Mike

spfarley
Intern

Post by spfarley » October 12th, 2013, 4:18 pm

What's our deadline on this? I seem to keep giving myself more and more projects to get done, and it looks like I may actually need to schedule myself some time to do this. O_o

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » October 13th, 2013, 1:13 am

spfarley wrote:What's our deadline on this? I seem to keep giving myself more and more projects to get done, and it looks like I may actually need to schedule myself some time to do this. O_o
All the details are on the first page in the first post. We have until December 1st to submit content. Hopefully that's enough time for you to get a recording together. Would love to have your participation.

spfarley
Intern

Post by spfarley » October 13th, 2013, 7:52 am

Yeah. I just noticed the GIANT RED LETTERS that I somehow missed previously. Shouldn't be an issue, I just need to make sure I prioritize this. ;)

Schottlandru
Critical Listener

Post by Schottlandru » October 22nd, 2013, 6:04 pm

Hi folks,

I only now find time to post (while waiting for video conversion ;-D)
Great stuff!! I will check to see what files I have for submission, maybe also a few things of interesting ethnic origin.

As for file size - are we still on the 96kHz? This thing will be huge... and I don't know if 96k is of such benefit to ambiences (as opposed to SFX with special HF and LF content of course)? Just a thought though... as long as the servers hold it!

And as for the licensing - any news here?

Cheers!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » October 24th, 2013, 11:20 am

It's still 96kHz and you can check out some legal stuff at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » November 3rd, 2013, 10:34 pm

QUICK UPDATE:

I'm trying to find the best way to manage these submissions with my normal work/personal life and don't have much time to QA them as they come in. As of now I've been downloading and transferring all the submitted content into a folder with specific sub-folders referencing the contributors name. I'm thinking the best way to handle the quality assurance of all these files is to just listen to everything after the submission deadline on December 1st. I'll set aside a weekend after that and from there I will give contributors another two weeks if any revisions are needed. This will more than likely not be necessary and only occur if something crazy has happened, like distorted files or they haven't met the file length requirement.

We are getting some great stuff coming in so far! This library should be a nice little holiday present for the month of December.

Thanks,

Mike

michael_m
Intern

Post by michael_m » November 9th, 2013, 10:48 am

I've uploaded some recordings and shared them with you. I hope everything went well and you recieved the mail including the note with my real name (Michael Manzke).

Thanks

musicbyjonathan
Intern

Post by musicbyjonathan » November 11th, 2013, 12:59 am

Mike,

Been a bit swamped here but have scheduled some rural local recordings tomorrow night. Will get the files to you after that asap. Sorry for being so late!

J