[PROJECT HAS ENDED] The "Crowds" Library

Contribute or start a crowdsource project here.

Would you like to contribute to the "Crowds" Library?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 99

Soundopolis
Intern

Re: The "Crowds" Library

Post by Soundopolis » September 10th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I love the idea! I have a bunch of large-crowd sounds I would love to share with the community. I was given access to the Palace of Auburn Hills (Detroit Pistons) to record crowd sounds during an MMA fight. Full access to roam and find various spots to get crowd reactions. They're awesome because there was no music and no announcer over the loudspeaker except at the very beginning and very end of every fight. So I have all sorts of booing, crowd roars and swells, murmuring, etc.

The only problem is you listed that you would like the sounds at 96k/24bit. Mine were recorded at 48k/24bit. Do you mind if I "up-res" to 96k? Or does that defeat the purpose of the whole shebang? I would be more than happy to contribute a few files to the cause.

David Fienup
Soundopolis, LLC

ashellinthepit
Intern

Post by ashellinthepit » September 10th, 2014, 1:57 pm

IIIIIIN!

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Post by JackMenhorn » September 10th, 2014, 2:00 pm

I cant speak for the people who have been organizing this library but if you were to submit 48k samples id rather them stay at 48k rather than uprez. If theyre 48 uprezzed then I wont know theyre secretly 48k but if they are what they are then ill know what im getting into when I use them.

Schottlandru
Critical Listener

Post by Schottlandru » September 11th, 2014, 8:05 am

I'm in too!
Yes regarding the 48k, uprezzing doesn't add anything, apart from disk space.

I must have missed an email, or is the upload window/link not open yet? Have you decided to keep it to a 20-day window from October on?

Looking forward to contributing!
Best,
Andrew

axk
Critical Listener

Post by axk » September 11th, 2014, 11:00 am

Soundopolis wrote: The only problem is you listed that you would like the sounds at 96k/24bit. Mine were recorded at 48k/24bit. Do you mind if I "up-res" to 96k? Or does that defeat the purpose of the whole shebang? I would be more than happy to contribute a few files to the cause.
Hey David! Welcome to the party, glad to have you aboard. As the other guys on the board mentioned, upsampling to 96kHz from a 48kHz recording won't really do much besides increasing file size in this context. There are certainly benefits to upsampling in other capacities, but for the purposes of this library, it'd be best to record at 96kHz from the get-go.

Mike can probably weigh in on delivering 48kHz files since this is all his idea; personally, I'd be okay with that sample rate if that's the max you're able to do.
guileol wrote: My 2c on the subject of file naming is to make sure that the file has an initial description (like crowd size, interior/exterior) in caps, followed by a more detailed info in lower case. This proves very helpful during a quick hunt for the right crowd. For example I'm naming one of mine as "CROWD_SMALL_INT_Fastfood_Restaurant_Busy_Noon_BRAZIL".

And a quick question: approximately how many people should we consider a Small/Medium/Large crowd? I know the crowd "performance" impacts on the way we perceive its size, so the headcount isn't an exact reference. But an approximation would be nice =].
Hi Guile! A warm welcome to you too, very excited to hear the recordings you get! You're absolutely right about including the relative size of the crowd in the filename, and I like the naming convention you've got going. That's how I'd want files to show up in my library.

As far as crowd sizes go, that can be a pretty subjective thing. For the Universal library, I've been treating 5 to 20 people as "Small", 20 to 50 people as "Medium", and 50+ as "Large". I'll also designate them as "light/medium/heavy" in reference to how busy-sounding they are, and "quiet/busy/loud" in reference to their levels. Obviously a couple of those descriptors are redundant, so I'll specify exactly what aspect of the recording I'm talking about in the Description field (while keeping the filename to just the amount of people in the crowd, like you have it above).

Hope that helps!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » September 11th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I'm going to extend the submission window for anyone that happens to record anything over Halloween. We'll now have until November 3rd to get any final submissions in.

petr.neubauer.cz
Intern

Post by petr.neubauer.cz » September 13th, 2014, 3:53 pm

To MikeQuell:

I want to contribute to Crowds library. But I cannot send you a private message as I'm new to this forum and the engine doesn't allow me to do that. When I have my sound folder ready on my google drive, I don't have your email address to send you the download link.
Is there anything else to do to post my files?
Thank you for help!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » September 14th, 2014, 12:47 am

petr.neubauer.cz wrote:I want to contribute to Crowds library. But I cannot send you a private message as I'm new to this forum and the engine doesn't allow me to do that. When I have my sound folder ready on my google drive, I don't have your email address to send you the download link.
Is there anything else to do to post my files?
Just sent you a private message. Let me know if you don't get it.

guileol
Intern

Post by guileol » September 15th, 2014, 9:17 am

petr.neubauer.cz wrote:To MikeQuell:

I want to contribute to Crowds library. But I cannot send you a private message as I'm new to this forum (...)
Me too!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » September 15th, 2014, 8:22 pm

To make it easier, I'll update the first post with my email when the submission window opens.